Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Roxanna goes to Tallinn

Here's my interview from this month's Standpoint with a dear friend and colleague, composer Roxanna Panufnik, whose quiet exterior conceals a veritable musical volcano. She is just off to Estonia for the world premiere on 30 June of her Tallinn Mass: Dance of Life, which she says is the biggest creative challenge she has ever faced. It involved - and I kid you not - setting 19 poems in Estonian.

Meanwhile, after last night at Garsington/Wormsley I need to be hung out to dry, and I promise you that that is nothing to do with alcohol intake. I don't know what it is about British summer pastimes and British weather, but there's something awfully endearing about the mismatch. More of that anon. For now, I'm still swallowing strong, hot coffee and hoping to thaw out sooner or later.